Friday, October 8, 2010

Week #33 - Papa Lynn

I think we have finally caught up with ourselves. This last three days has been so easy it is almost scary. Of course it has been a national holiday here in Botswana as it is their independence day on the 30 day of September and almost everything was closed. Because it was on a Thursday everything was closed on Friday as well. We have done a lot of catch work here in the office and I have been given a special assignment by President Hall our stake president from South Africa. I’m sure I have mentioned several times that we are close to being a stake here in Botswana and we want it to succeed when it becomes a stake so we are pushing hard to make that happen. Elder and Sister Bricknell have been asked to come to a special fireside this coming Saturday the 9th of October along with President Hall they are going to explain what needs to be done to become a stake to all the membership here in Botswana.

A week ago yesterday at the Broadhurst chapel President Hall called all his ward and stake leaders that serve here in Botswana and he gave us a time line. I was a little surprised because I thought it would be yet this year. But when you put the figures together we are now shooting for the 26 day of June 2011 which is very realistic. We only have three wards here in Botswana itself and we need five to become a stake. We have three strong branches two of which possibly could be a ward by then if they really prepare and work hard. His means that the leaders and members need to reactivate the less active members and get them to come back and be strong Full Tithe Paying Melchizedek Priesthood holders. It means that the missionaries need to find father lead families to teach to add to this number as well. Three other branches are not even close to being wards but they can add Full Tithe Paying Melchizedek Priesthood holders to their branches to help in their branches and they can serve in stake positions. If these three that are close to becoming wards by adding Full Tithe Paying Melchizedek Priesthood holders that will add strength to their ward and the stake, making Botswana closer to becoming a stake. We have a backup plan as there is a ward in South Africa that is very strong and when the time comes they will be in the Botswana stake as well (later in a few years dropping out of the Botswana stake and going back into Roodepoort stake in South Africa). All of this will happen as Botswana grows I hope this all makes a little sense to you. We are excited to be a part of this transition.

We are in the Roodepoort South Africa Stake and have been for many years but President Hall has made a commitment to make Botswana a stake of its own before he is released. In this meeting a week ago yesterday he went over all that needs to be done but the biggest need is for more Full Tithe Paying Melchizedek Priesthood holders. He has envisioned a large chart for each ward and branch to hang on a wall where each member can see the individual units’ growth and the stake growth as well. He said he wants to be approximately 600 MM wide by 900 MM high (2 feet X 3 feet). He wants each chart to be kept current each week. Someone will need to collect the information and feed it to each unit leader and have him change his chart in his building.

As he was putting all of this together in the meeting described above he kept looking at me. Finally he said “President Morgan I feel you are the person that can put this chart together for us, will you except this assignment?” I asked him why he thought I could do it and he came right back and said, “You invented and put together the font heater didn’t you?” I had no idea that he knew anything about the font heater. I accepted the assignment and have spent a lot of time thinking and putting together plans to make it work. I am sending an attachment to some of my thoughts and if any of you have any suggestions let me know. This next week looks a little slow so I plan to put them together the best I can. I would really like to have them ready except for the gauge and numbers (they will a this next Saturday afternoon when everyone turns their unit’s goals. I will have to add them up and make the gauge according to their goals.

Well enough has been said on the barometer. Life is good and we are finally getting some of the first residence permits for the elders. It takes two months and we only received 3 of the 8 but the other 5 should be ready the 11th of October. I will be glad when I can get into a routine that doesn’t keep me so uptight with the immigration department. I get nervous just passing their building even when I’m not planning to stop. I don’t think it should be this way but I don’t know what to do differently. I think the Lord helps us through our trials and I think I need this to be a trial so I can be helped through it. Mom and I love the work and it is always exciting. We love serving the Lord and know he blesses us every day. This mission is a wonderful place to spend time serving our Father in Heaven, we feel close to Him.

We pray for each of you every day and know the Lord is blessing you daily. We can feel it in your letters (from those who write). Keep up the good work and raise our grandchildren as good strong members of His church. Please keep in touch with us. We are excited to have Mike, Roger and Bryce coming to see us the last of February and the first of March 2011. We will try and make your visit exciting for you. We are looking into local game reserves and we will just show you what it is like in Africa. I suggest you barrow the 8 episodes of The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency from Lori and each of you watch them before you come over. They are fun and would make a great family home evening. You can use them as an excuse to be closer to your grandparents in Botswana.

I close with Love Out Of Botswana, DAD AND MOM

No comments:

Post a Comment