Thursday, July 22, 2010

Week 23 - Papa Lynn

Dear Family and Friends 22 July 2010

I am going to write a short note before I usually write just so I don’t forget what I want to write. On the day after our Zone Conference President Poulsen went to Mochudi and Sister Morgan and I went to Kanye. They had asked me to speak in sacrament meeting and then after the block they had a family of five (one still a baby) that were baptized. I think I mentioned this is the last letter. After the baptism President Poulsen his wife and one of the mission assistants came to Kanye to pick up the other assistant that went back to the Kanye elders so he could see the branch that he had served in just before becoming an assistant. While we were standing around talking one of the elders was telling President about another family almost ready for baptism however they weren’t legally married yet. The president turned to me and said “Elder Morgan you ought to find out what it takes for you to become a marriage officer here in Botswana. I asked him if he was serious and he said he was in South Africa but didn’t think he could here in Botswana because not being a resident.

Sister Morgan and I went to the immigration building (the one down town) and talked to the lady over the “Change of Surname and Marriage Department”. She said if the District Commissioner approved and I prepared by studying the marriage handbook she thought I might be able to do so. I bought a marriage booklet for 5 pula and studied hard for several days. Bishop Matswagothata took me and introduced me to the District Commissioner and we set up an appointment for a few days later with her. That gave me a couple more days to study. Well yesterday I passed the test so now I am an official “marriage officer” here in Botswana.

No comments:

Post a Comment